The FIH Men’s Hockey World Cup 2023 was played in Odisha’s Bhubaneshwar and Rourkela, January 13 to 29, and featured 16 teams across the globe. All 16 teams were equally divided into four groups, Pool A—D having four teams each. All teams in each group played in a single-headed round-robin format in the group stage competition. Keep reading this to get all the information on the Hockey World Cup 2023 such as teams, results, etc.
Group Teams of Men’s Hockey World Cup 2023
|POOL A||POOL B||POOL C||POOL D|
In the group stage, based on the results, the top four teams from each pool get direct qualifications for the quarter-finals. Meanwhile, to determine the other four quarter-finalists, the second and third-placed teams from the group played crossover matches.
Knocked-out teams from the championship race played classification matches until their final rank in the World Cup was finalized.
Group Stage Points Table and Results
POOL A Points Table
Pool A Results
- Match: Argentina 1-0 South Africa
- Match: Australia 8-0 France
- Match: France 2-1 South Africa
- Match: Argentina 3-3 Australia
- Match: Australia 9-2 South Africa
- Match: France 5-5 Argentina
POOL B Points Table
Pool B Results
- Match: Belgium 5-5 South Korea
- Match: Germany 3-0 Japan
- Match: South Korea 2-1 Japan
- Match: Germany 2-2 Belgium
- Match: Belgium 7-1 Japan
- Match: South Korea 2-7 Germany
POOL C Points Table
Pool C Results
- Match: New Zealand 3-1 Chile
- Match: Netherlands 4-0 Malaysia
- Match: Malaysia 3-2 Chile
- Match: New Zealand 0-4 Netherlands
- Match: Malaysia 3-2 New Zealand
- Match: Netherlands 14-0 Chile
POOL D Points Table
Pool D Results
- Match: England 5-0 Wales
- Match: India 2-0 Spain
- Match: Spain 5-1 Wales
- Match: England 0-0 India
- Match: Spain 0-4 England
- Match: India 4-2 Wales
The top team or number 1 team from each pool qualifies for the quarter-finals.
Second and third-placed teams from each pool played crossovers.
Note: GF- Goals For (Goals Scored), GA- Goals Against (Goals Conceded), GD- Goal Difference.
Crossover Results of Hocket World Cup 2023
- Crossover 1: Malaysia 2(3)-2(4) Spain (Spain won in penalty shootout)
- Crossover 2: India 3(4)-3(5) New Zealand (New Zealand won in penalty shootout)
- Crossover 3: Argentina 5(2)-5(3) South Korea (South Korea won in penalty shootout)
- Crossover 4: Germany 5-1 France (Germany won by 5-1 against France)
- Match: South Africa 6-3 Malaysia (South Africa won by 6-3 against Malaysia)
- Match: Wales 2(2)-2(1) France( Wales won against France)
- Match: Chile 0-8 Argentina (Argentina won by 8-0 against Chile)
- Match: India 8-0 Japan (India won by 8-0 against Japan)
- Malaysia 3-2 Japan
- Chile 2-4 France
- India 5-2 South Africa
- Argentina 6-0 Wales
- Quarter-Final 1: Australia 4-3 Spain
- Quarter-Final 2: Belgium 2-0 New Zealand
- Quater-Final 3: Netherlands 5-1 South Korea
- Quarter-Final 4: England 2(3)-2(4) Germany (Germany won in penalty shootout)
- Semi-Final 1: Germany 4-3 Australia (Germany won by 4-3 against Australia)
- Semi-Final 2: Belgium 2(3)-2(2) Netherlands (Belgium won against Netherlands)
Australia 1-3 Netherlands (Netherlands beats Australia by 3-1 to secure third position)
Final: Germany 3(5)-3(4) Belgium (Germany got great victory over Belgium)
The Men’s FIH Hockey World Cup 2023 was played from January 13-29 which was proved quite entertaining for Hockey lovers. Germany’s triumph against Belgium was phenomenal as scores were level at the end of regulation time at 3-3. Jean Paul Danneberg proved to be the protagonist for Germany, as the goalkeeper he successfully made three saves in the penalty shootout. Whereas, Belgium goalkeeper Vincent Vanasch made two saves to keep his team alive but in the end, Germany kept their composure to clinch the title in the sudden death. The players of the match were Niklas Wellen (29’), Gonzalo Peillat (41’), and Mats Grambusch (48’) for Germany.
Why Pakistan was not the part of Hockey World Cup 2023?
There is a qualification rule that has been set by FIH that only the top four teams from the Asia Cup will able to qualify for the World Cup. Japan, South Korea, and Malaysia were the teams along with India who sealed their spot.
How many times India have won the Hockey World Cup?
India won the Hockey World Cup only a single time in 1975.
In which state the Hockey World Cup 2023 was held?
Odisha was the host of the Hockey World Cup 2023 in its two cities Bhubaneswar and Rourkela.
Check out the complete schedule here.
Also Read: India Vs Pakistan Live Score: Asia Cup 2023